Wednesday, October 8, 2014

5. Ridin' the Rainbow

Title: Ridin' the Rainbow: Father's Life in Tucson
Author: Rosemary Taylor
Year Published:1944
Year Printed: 1944

Date Acquired: October 8, 2014
Where Purchased: The Book Stop, Tucson, AZ
Price Paid: $15

Read Status: Read (February 11, 2015)

Notes/Thoughts
  • Signed by Author
  • It was more difficult than I expected to find a 1940s book to buy here. They definitely have old stuff, as I randomly picked up at least 3 1927 books and some 1900s books. I got excited when I saw the Utah book from the American Guide Series. While it was broadening out of the local section to the regional section, I would have bought it if it had not turned out to be a 1970s reprint. Almost ended up with a California book, but glad I found this one.
  • Of course, as much as I tried to expand my collection beyond Virginia, this book in fact features a Virginia connection with the author's mother being from Virginia. I particularly found it interesting when she explains how her father and mother often debated "whether kids had more fun in Arizona or in Virginia" (p. 20) with one of the examples being between seeing the first dogwood in spring versus the first night-blooming cereus in summer. Well, I'll have to wait for spring to find a dogwood to see in person, but I'm going to have to go with the night-blooming cereus definitely winning on this one. Then, again, I guess I'm biased having grown up in Arizona.
  • Having grown up almost a century later in the same University neighborhood as the author it was interesting to read it referred to as "right out in the country." (p. 101)
  • Throughout reading this it seemed the author's father had a lot to do with everything that went on in the early development of Tucson and finally it made sense when I did some research online and finally figured that Rosemary Taylor was a Drachman. Now if I could just find a 1940s edition of what appears to be her more well-known novel, Chicken Every Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment