Saturday, December 20, 2014

9. Breakfast at the Hermitage

Title: Breakfast at the Hermitage
Author: Alfred Leland Crabb
Year Published: 1945
Year Printed: 1945

Date Acquired: December 20, 2014
Where Purchased: The Hermitage Gift Shop, Hermitage, TN
Price Paid: $105

Read Status: Read (July 16, 2015)

Notes/Thoughts
  • Signed by author
  • Has book jacket
  • I had already got a book for this trip at a used bookstore in Nashville, but I had to look through the rare books they had in the gift shop when I saw them to see if there were any 1940s editions. I still wasn't going to get it when I found it because of the price, but Mom decided to still get it for me as a Christmas present. Probably was overpriced, but it is signed by author without being to someone specific and it has the book jacket. Plus, since I bought it at The Hermitage it definitely fits being about the local area even though it is an historical fiction novel.
  • It took a little while to get into this book, but this turned out to be quite an interesting historical fiction novel about Nashville and architecture, preservation and continuing the tradition of beautiful homes.
  • “Once I dreamed I was at the Capitol and a lot of men wanted me to be governor, but I outran them. Lucky I did, too.”
    “Lucky? How was that lucky?”
    “I’d be dead now. You ever read in a history book about a governor that’s still alive?” (p. 101)
  • “So did I, but he does it almost too well. To keep alive the comradeship, that is well; but to make us wish we were back in the war, that is not well. We lost the war; we mustn’t lose anything else.” (p. 102)
  • “Mrs. Jackson thinks the Hermitage can become the Mount Vernon of the South." (p. 175) - Um, isn't Mount Vernon in the South?

No comments:

Post a Comment